Development Director (Telecommute)
Truthout is seeking a Development Director to plan and implement reader fundraising campaigns, develop fundraising strategies, build and maintain relationships with donors, and more.
Truthout is an online workplace, and the successfully candidate can work remotely from any location (but within set office hours). Applicants are welcome from anywhere in the United States. People of color, women, queer and gender-nonconforming people are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- With Publisher, plan and write fundraising campaigns primarily consisting of email appeals targeted to Truthout readers (but including components on social media, Truthout's website and direct email and phone contact).
- Building and maintaining relationships with individual donors through email, mail, phone calls and in person meetings (infrequent travel will be required).
- Continue and improve our efforts to educate ourselves about our donors' interests and preferences; write occasional direct mail fundraising appeals targeting specific segments of Truthout's community.
- Maintain donor and subscriber database.
- Plan and implement strategies to grow and maintain Truthout's newsletter subscription list.
- Identify foundation funding opportunities and compose funding applications.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a proven track record of development experience, including demonstrated ability to bring in large and small individual donations.
- Be adept in crafting fundraising appeals that utilize both rational and emotional arguments.
- Be comfortable making direct asks for donations to individuals via email, phone or in person.
- Be able to travel 2-3 times a year.
- Demonstrate a thorough awareness of the current independent and online media landscape.
- Read Truthout regularly and demonstrate an understanding of and affinity with Truthout's identity, ethos and mission.
- Be able to fluently communicate Truthout's unique identity to readers, donors and funders.
- Be familiar with Salsa or similar online fundraising platforms.
- Have knowledge of current fundraising trends and best practices.
- Have the ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating adaptability and flexibility.
Ideally, possess expertise in one or more of the following areas: fundraising on social media or crowdfunding platforms; foundation funding and grants; bequest/estate programs; fundraising event planning.
Application deadline: November 13, 2015
How to apply