Six US Troops Killed in Afghanistan (2)

Sunday, 02 August 2009 20:30 By Laura King, The Los Angeles Times | name.

Six US Troops Killed in Afghanistan
A US soldier uses a mine detector near Shah Wali Zarat in Khost province, Afghanistan. (Photo: Staff Sgt. Andrew Smith / US Army)

    The rise in deaths over the weekend, including 3 from other nations, comes just after officials declare July the deadliest month for Western troops since the war's start.

    Kabul, Afghanistan - Six American soldiers were killed in a 48-hour period ending Sunday, their deaths coming on the heels of the most lethal month for U.S. and Western troops since the start of the war nearly eight years ago, military officials said.

    Three other Western troops also died over the weekend, according to NATO's International Security Assistance Force. One of them was identified as a French soldier killed Saturday in a firefight outside Kabul, the capital; the other two were Canadians killed in the south.

    The increase in combat casualties comes as NATO troops are engaged in a push to ensure that Afghanistan's presidential election can be held in reasonable safety. Voters will also choose provincial assemblies in the nationwide balloting scheduled for Aug. 20.

    Western officials view the vote as a key milestone in the effort to bolster the legitimacy of Afghanistan's central government, which has been weakened by a virulent insurgency and plagued by allegations of corruption and inefficiency.

    Three of the U.S. deaths came in a roadside bombing in Kandahar province, in southern Afghanistan, on Saturday. Most of the American forces in the south are concentrated in neighboring Helmand province, where U.S. Marines have seized a large swath of previously insurgent-held territory. But many newly arriving American troops are also being deployed in Kandahar province, where their tasks include dangerous patrols in Kandahar city, the main urban hub of the country's volatile south.

    The other three Americans were killed Sunday in Wardak province, to the west of Kabul. U.S. military officials said their convoy first struck a roadside bomb and then came under small-arms fire by insurgents. Such coordinated attacks -- combining an initial explosion and a follow-up ambush -- have increasingly become a hallmark of the insurgents operating in the country's eastern sector. Many are said to be under the command of insurgent leaders based in Pakistan's tribal belt, including Sirajuddin Haqqani, leader of the powerful Haqqani network.

    The American presence in Wardak was beefed up early this year after a series of attacks by militants helped create the impression that Taliban fighters were tightening a noose around the capital. Western military officials insisted that that was largely an illusion and that Kabul was in no danger of being overrun, but they acknowledged that travel on the main highway through Wardak, at the capital's doorstep, had become extremely unsafe for ordinary Afghans and security forces alike.

    The surge of deaths over the weekend came just after military officials reported that July had been the worst month since the war's start in terms of troop fatalities. Seventy-four Western soldiers were killed, including 43 Americans, the highest monthly tally for both since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion that toppled the Taliban.

Last modified on Monday, 03 August 2009 09:55