US Plans Death Camp at Guantanamo

Monday, 26 May 2003 03:59 by: Anonymous

  US Plans Death Camp
  The Courier-Mail

  Monday 26 May 2003

  The US has floated plans to turn Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, with its own death row and execution chamber.

  Prisoners would be tried, convicted and executed without leaving its boundaries, without a jury and without right of appeal, The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported yesterday.
The plans were revealed by Major-General Geoffrey Miller, who is in charge of 680 suspects from 43 countries, including two Australians.

  The suspects have been held at Camp Delta on Cuba without charge for 18 months.
General Miller said building a death row was one plan. Another was to have a permanent jail, with possibly an execution chamber.

  The Mail on Sunday reported the move is seen as logical by the US, which has been attacked worldwide for breaching the Geneva Convention on prisoners of war since it established the camp at a naval base to hold alleged terrorists from Afghanistan.

  But it has horrified human rights groups and lawyers representing detainees.

  They see it as the clearest indication America has no intention of falling in line with internationally recognised justice.

  The US has already said detainees would be tried by tribunals, without juries or appeals to a higher court. Detainees will be allowed only US lawyers.

  British activist Stephen Jakobi, of Fair Trials Abroad, said: "The US is kicking and screaming against any pressure to conform with British or any other kind of international justice."

  American law professor Jonathan Turley, who has led US civil rights group protests against the military tribunals planned to hear cases at Guantanamo Bay, said: "It is not surprising the authorities are building a death row because they have said they plan to try capital cases before these tribunals.

  "This camp was created to execute people. The administration has no interest in long-term prison sentences for people it regards as hard-core terrorists."

  Britain admitted it had been kept in the dark about the plans.

  A Downing St spokesman said: "The US Government is well aware of the British Government's position on the death penalty."


  Go to Original

  Officers Shaken by Arrival of Child Terrorists
  By David Rennie
  Afgha.com

  Saturday 24 May 2003

  The disclosure that the United States was holding three Afghan boys under 16 as "juvenile enemy combatants" at Guantanamo Bay caused widespread shock.

  Officers there were almost equally surprised, they said yesterday. They discovered they had been sent a child only when doctors examining a recent arrival noticed his physical immaturity.

  The youth, whose exact age is uncertain, was separated from adult detainees immediately. When two more youths arrived shortly afterwards a separate juvenile camp was built in a remote house overlooking the sea.

  Anxious to defuse a potential public relations disaster, officials at Guantanamo Bay allowed access to Camp Iguana, as the new area is called.

  Senior commanders were at pains to describe the special care being taken of the unusual detainees, while stressing their status as dangerous terrorists.

  Col Adolph McQueen, head of the Joint Detention Operation Group, said: "We have a programme designed by medical staff, they are being taught mathematics and reading, and we have an interpreter there all the time."

  The youngest of the three appears to be about 13. But Col McQueen said: "They are juvenile enemy combatants that have a history of violence. If you let your guard down you could get someone hurt."

  Maj Gen Geoffrey Miller, the overall commander, would not be drawn on the nature of the crimes committed by the boys, saying only that they "have both information of value to the United States and are threats to this nation" after being pressed into terrorist service by "despicable people".

Last modified on Monday, 21 April 2008 13:39