BILL BERKOWITZ FOR BUZZFLASH AT TRUTHOUT
If you know what's good for America, you will shut your door when the Girl Scouts come a knockin', and you'll "back away from those Girl Scout Cookies," conservative Christian groups are telling their constituents. It has nothing to do with evangelicals adopting gluten-free diets (although there is now a certified gluten-free Chocolate Chip Shortbread cookie), or concerns about eliminating fat from their diets. It's all about right-wingers charging Girl Scouts USA with supporting Planned Parenthood, pro-abortion role models like Hillary Clinton, Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, and organizations like Amnesty International, the ACLU, and the National Organization for Women (NOW).
And, now, thanks to the newly formed CookieCott 2014, Texas' Wendy Davis has been dropped into the middle of this year's ruckus.
None of the anti-GSUSA caterwauling is new to leaders of the 2.3 million member GSUSA or to conservative scolds who have been slamming the organization for years.
What is new, however, is a tweeting controversy which conservatives are trying to gin up in their own inimitable manner. CNSNews.com reported in early January, that during a conversation generated by a Huffington Post article and video panel discussion over possible nominees for Woman of the Year, "The Girl Scouts of America tweeted a link ... that praises pro-abortion politician Wendy Davis (D-Texas.)"
According to CookieCott 2014, "The Girl Scouts recently endorsed pro-abortion politicians Wendy Davis and Kathleen Sebelius as worthy role models for our children. In response, we're asking you to boycott Girl Scout cookies in 2014."
The boycott has been endorsed by: LifeNews, the American Life League, the Pro-Life Action League, the Radiance Foundation, blogger Jill Stanek, the National Black Pro-Life Union, the Issues4Life Foundation, and Life Coalition International.
CNSNews.com contacted the Girl Scouts of America (GSUSA) for comment on their tweet and received this response from Kelly M. Parisi, "Our tweet simply asked our followers to share their opinion about what women should be included in a discussion about women in 2013 initiated by HuffPost Live. Girl Scouts has not endorsed any politicians. Additionally, in the page we linked to, included is a second hand link.
"Our Twitter bio states that a retweet does not equal an endorsement. Our sharing a link was not to endorse any of the women featured, but to highlight the source's acknowledgement of women who made a mark in 2013. The title of the article was not created by GSUSA, but by the source.
"As the world's premiere leadership organization for girls, we are charged with developing girls of courage, confidence and character. We hope that all girls have the courage to make the their voices heard and welcome respectful discourse about what qualities a woman of the year should have."
Step away from those pro-abortion cookies
An e-mail alert sent out by the American Family Association's president Tim Wildmon (the son of AFA founder the Rev. Donald Wildmon) is headlined "Be informed: What Girl Scouts USA does with their cookie 'dough'."
Wildmon is calling attention to the website of Christy Volanski, a mother of two former girl scouts who created "Speak Now Girl Scouts," "to expose the link between the group and the Planned Parenthood abortion business."
According to Volanski's cookie flier, parents should know the following about GSUSA:
Where Does the Cookie Money Go?
* A girl's troop keeps an average of just 10 to 20 percent of the money she collects from selling cookies.
* The local council receives an average of 65 to 75 percent of the money collected by all local troops.
* Girl Scouts USA (GSUSA) collects a royalty payment based upon their licensed trademark on every box of cookies produced. With approximately 200 million boxes of cookies sold annually, and the cookie licensing payments accounting for 5 to 7 percent of GSUSA's budget, this amounts to millions of dollars of funding for GSUSA every year.
What's the Concern About Funding Girl Scout Councils and GSUSA?
* GSUSA, with over 2 million girl members, maintains relationships with many pro-abortion advocacy groups.
* Girl Scouts' curriculum for girls, sold and promoted by every local Girl Scout council, recommends pro-abortion role models/organizations such as Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem, Geraldine Ferraro, Hillary Clinton, Amnesty Intl., Population Council, ACLU and National Organization For Women (NOW).
* GSUSA and local Girl Scout councils connect girls to resources promoting abortion rights and inappropriate sexual content via official Girl Scout social media accounts.
* Across the country, local Girl Scout councils honor and promote abortion rights advocates and pro-abortion politicians; suggest girls work with organizations that fight for abortion on demand; and invite girls to attend events related to abortion rights advocacy and other controversial issues.
* GSUSA is the largest member organization of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), making up one-third of its 10 million members worldwide and paying approximately 1.5 million dollars annually to WAGGGS based on the number of registered GSUSA members.
* WAGGGS, which states that "anyone who is a Girl Guide or Girl Scout is automatically a member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts," aggressively promotes youth reproductive/abortion and sexual rights, specifically on behalf of its 10 million members.
Founded in 1912 by Juliette Gordon Low, since 1917, First Ladies have been "Honorary National President" of the Girl Scouts. According to CNSNews.com, "In her role as the current honorary president, Michelle Obama recorded a video promoting volunteering for the Girl Scouts (featured on the Girl Scouts web site.) Mrs. Obama says Girl Scouts volunteers 'can show girls that anything is possible and you can inspire them to dream bigger and go further than they ever even imagined.'"
The American Family Association's Tim Wildmon suggests that when the Girl Scouts come knocking with their cookies, just say no, and shut the door.